Friday, April 4, 2008

Rainy Fridays were meant for crafting...(wistful sigh)

The rain is doing its best to do away with the snow. We no longer have any directly behind our place, although down the ravine a ways I can still see a fair bit. It reminds me of the mounds that live in ice rink parking lots. I can also see spring greens poking out of my neighbour's garden (crocuses I think). So spring is almost here! Speaking of growing things, my cattleya orchid is in bloom again - the buds were just starting to show when I bought it and now a few are fully flowers. It's weird, though, that they don't seem to have any scent yet (the first flowers had a vanilla scent). Maybe there just aren't enough in bloom? Or maybe it is my sinuses :) Also, the species orchid I got is growing like mad. Every time I look at it (a few times a day) there is more growth. Pretty crazy. Apparently it liked it when H dumped it out on the floor. I'll try to start taking pics...

I finished sewing all the rings onto the shade. It is now on hold as my directions say to staple the fabric to the wood and then mount but I want to do a velcro install so I can wash it. So I'm going to look at the ones at the in-laws place to see how they're done. Ray wants to check, too, since I asked him to do the actual install.

I started frogging Creeper. I decided that since I was ripping out anyway, I'd rather rip out a little more and make it right. I have one seam left to undo, then I can figure out where I want to restart from. I found the arms a little long - I think it would look cuter at a 3/4 sleeve (I actually think it's supposed to be that way, it's just too big on me) so I'd like to get rid of a few stitches in width and add the rows I lost in the arms, and see if I can add another inch or so of length. The pattern shows it worn with a ribbon around the waist, but mine really just barely falls below the waist so this wouldn't be an option. But it makes me think that it is meant to fit a little bit longer. So I guess I have some work ahead of me, but it shouldn't be too bad. Ripping the seams is a real pain though. Glad I'm almost done.

I ordered the pattern for the snugs boots to make for H. Someone on Ravelry made them out of Patons wool, which I was glad to see. I'd rather use cheap since he'll outgrow them so fast, and I should have access to a good wide range of colour options with the Patons. I've also been searching Ravelry for a sweater pattern to use up the lovely Riata by Brooks Farms I bought at SAFF. Unfortunately, I only bought 2 skeins, which really limits my options. I found a cute jacket made with 2 skeins of Riata, but the pattern is in Jackets for Work and Play or something like that and all the other patterns are SOOOO not me. $17 plus shipping, plus it isn't in stock, plus only having one pattern I like.....There are a couple of sweaters in Heartfelt - The Dark House Collection (Kim Hargreaves) that I like that I should have enough Riata for, plus I like most of the patterns in the book. So I thought I'd just get that book instead BUT it is $30 and there seem to be few US retailers that have it available and no Canadian ones. Still a possibility. But I kept searching. I think I might use the Bianca sweater pattern in one of my Interweave Knits. It got great reviews on Ravelry, I like the FOs, I already have the pattern....I just hope I have enough yarn. I find the sleeves a bit wide and froo for me, so I may be able to adjust there to save yarn. I think I need to seriously think twice about buying yarn without a pattern first as this is a difficult process. I guess I could also just buy more yarn to make sure, but that gets costly with the yarns I covet.

We're going to the grand opening of a hospice today, then to the inlaws for dinner, so there will be no more crafting, at least until late. Sad as the rain makes me want to make things (and bake things - cinnamon buns.....) We're headed to the farm after a memorial service tomorrow, so maybe I can get a little done up there.

No comments: